With the help of well-trained, caring volunteers, Meals on Wheels of Lehigh County, a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) agency, provides two meals each weekday to homebound seniors and adults with disabilities. This service fills short-term needs after an illness, surgery or hospital stay, and long term needs for people with chronic conditions or disabilities who want to remain independent in their own homes. The Agency also provides meals as respite care for a week or two, when a caregiver is on vacation or ill themselves.
Meals are prepared each weekday by a vendor that specializes in preparing these meals. Currently, this vendor is Meals on Wheels of Northampton County. The kitchen staff takes pride in preparing delicious, nutritious food that is visually appealing.
Meals are delivered Monday through Friday, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Clients receive a hot meal tray and cold bag lunch or may choose a hot-meal-only plan.
- Four diets are available: regular, diabetic, soft and renal.
- All meals are low-sodium and low-fat.
- A five-week rotating menu provides variety.
- Some special diet needs can be accommodated such as no red meat.
- Frozen weekend meals are available.
- Clients receive a “blizzard bag” with a full day’s supply of food for days when meal delivery is cancelled due to bad weather or another emergency.
- Cat and dog food are also available for clients’ pets free of charge.